If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (757) 479-4447

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Food After A Fire

10/12/2021 (Permalink)

Kitchen on fire Give us a call at 757-479-4447

Some wonder what food can be saved and eaten after a fire.  It's understandable to want to save as much as possible and not let food go to waste.  However, it must be taken into account that food, opened or unopened, do become contaminated by fires and can cause health effects.   

Unfortunately, not only can food be affected by fire directly, but can also become affected by the water, chemicals, smoke and by heat damages caused by fires.  The toxic fumes from fires also contaminates the food.  Strong smoke odor or rotten food odor is a sign the food is no good. 

The smoke, soot, toxic fumes along with other contaminates in the fire permeate through the air which taints the food.  The food can be fresh, packaged, sealed and even in the refrigerator or freezer and can still become contaminated because the seals are not all completely air tight.  Even canned food, food in jars, bottles can be affected by the heat of the fire causing the food to slowly cook within which can be harmful to eat.    

It's not recommended to try and eat the food to see if it's good or not.  It's highly recommended to throw away and dispose of food that have been in or around a fire to avoid getting sick. 

If you have questions give SERVPRO of Kempsville/Military Circle a call at 757-479-4447.  We are Here to Help! 

Other News

View Recent Posts